One of the book's authors, Darrell Pepper, was kind enough to send me some sample files so I could make sure my translation of his work was producing the correct results. I did find a couple of errors, and so I've updated the code and pushed the changes to the GitHub repository. But it does match the test data, so so far so good.
I still have a while to go before the entire translation is complete. There's also a mesh generator that I haven't put together yet, along with the 2D and 3D variants of both the mesh generator and the FEM code. This is on top of all the code streamlining and refactoring I want to do in the future. But ideally by the end there would be only a single program to call that would handle all permutations, along with common modules that would make debugging and maintenance easier. I don't know how much the code will be picked up once I'm done with it, but it has been an interesting exercise so far and I look forward to trying out more advanced features of the language.